Sunday, October 4, 2020

Dominoes tumbling right and left - or - How to cram six weeks of work into one day

 On Thursday night my husband is going to drop me off at the church again for the weekend. That's because on Friday morning I have the internet company coming to hook up our high-speed internet, which will make it easier for me to get things done up there. Right now, we have to try to fit everything in on weekends so we don't miss work, which is tricky when many tradespeople only work Monday to Friday. If I can do my work from there with a laptop, I can stay during the week to meet people and let them into the church.

Since I'll be there anyway on Friday, we're also trying to organize it so that I also meet Hayters, the two window companies, and the environmental study guy on the same day. Essentially killing 5 birds with one stone. 

To update you, one company (Ridley) is manufacturing and installing the windows in the lower level, and a different company (Stephensons) is replacing the big round window in the balcony. Neither will be ready to go in until January or even spring, so it's best we get started now. The Phase One environmental study went well.

I want to start putting together a business plan of sorts, so that we can explain to the township what we want to do with the church and what kind of activities will happen there, to aid us in getting either a zoning change or a variance granted.

I had a mini meltdown on Friday, with a long talk with my patient husband lasting well into the night. Part of this was because we have work going on at both the church and the city house, as well as a noisy new guest at home and the city digging up the street outside my bedroom window, and the sheer noise level is overwhelming. I am a surprisingly quiet person for a bagpiper, and constant sound is like torture. That's another reason to scamper up to the church for the weekend. When everyone goes home Friday night and the dust settles, I'll have peace and quiet, just me and Brio, for a little while until my husband comes to pick us up. I may spend it digging a new trench for the propane line, but it's still alone time.

The other thing that caused me anxiety is that for the second time in 23 years, we are in debt. It is a small loan and extremely manageable, with a very low interest rate, and I understand the need for it in light of all we need to do to this church to make it solid and safe and healthy. I know it's perfectly acceptable to go into debt to buy a house, and I've had mortgages before (and this isn't even a formal mortgage, and I can pay it off at any time). But it's an uncomfortable feeling for me, being in debt, and I don't like it. Especially when the money all seems to be going into stuff that won't be visible once it's done, like wrapping the foundations. It would admittedly be more fun if the money resulted in visible things like pretty kitchen cabinets or new carpet. Anyway, my husband pointed out that the small bit of interest we pay monthly is less than, say, a condo fee would be, and we are going to end up with a property that could house the whole family if need be. It's still much cheaper than a house in that area would cost. There's no set timeframe or pressure for paying it off, though we'd like to get rid of the debt as soon as possible. So I need to take a deep breath and keep it in perspective.

I'm starting to see the church as a sanctuary to run to, a place to meditate and sit in the quiet and breathe. To be alone and silent. So I think a little interest payment smaller than a gym membership is probably a good investment, overall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...