Thursday, December 24, 2020

Food Security and the Church

 My husband and I have been watching news reports about the possible food shortages and rise in food costs predicted for 2021. Covid and wildfires and crazy weather and a host of other factors make me think it's time to bolster the food storage both at home and at the church. We've always kept a good supply on hand of staples, but I think it's a good idea to keep extra at the church too. I intend to spend a lot of the winter there, and there's always a chance of getting snowed in longer than expected, or having to shelter in place due to the pandemic.

Our church runs a storehouse in Brampton where we can buy big cans of dehydrated carrots, onions, potatoes, and milk that are packaged to last for many years. They also sell bulk oatmeal, flour, rice, beans, etc. The selection is somewhat limited due to supply issues, but I'm going to stock up in January on some essentials. I also want to take up cornmeal and other items that will allow me to bake and cook there as well as I do at home. One of my favourite things to make is homemade pita, made into wraps with cheese, thinly-sliced chicken, and coleslaw with cucumber dressing. Because Warwick is not within walking distance of a grocery store, anything I need has to be acquired ahead of time while my husband is there with the car.

I've also thought it would be a good idea to put aside some emergency supplies for the neighbourhood too, while I'm at it. Water filters, non-battery-operated flashlights and lanterns, cots, extra emergency blankets, etc. in case of floods or power outages. It gets awfully cold up here in the winter, and if the power goes out, no one's propane furnace will work. There are quite a few elderly people in the area. I could see opening the church up as an emergency shelter if needed. We could get a lot of people in there!

I think it would be fun to run a store that sells emergency supplies and self-reliance equipment, such as canners and wheat grinders. Like a miniature Lehman's.

2 comments:

Clover starting to take root

The microclover has started to surface, along with a million baby maple trees. Trying to figure out how to remove the trees without disturbi...