Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Sudden realization

We returned to the city to mow lawns, weed gardens, and generally check in with the family. I am struck by the noise level here. Constant traffic sounds, construction trucks, people walking by chatting loudly in the middle of the night, airplanes roaring overhead. I can't open my windows at night because it's so noisy. The only time you can hear the birds is at 4:30 a.m. before the people wake up. How did I ever live here? Back in the church, it's dead silent unless the dehumidifier is on. You can actually hear birds, and the wind in the trees. You can hear yourself think.

It's interesting how quickly we de-acclimatize. And it's an eye-opener to me how nourishing I find the quiet. I haven't written a word since I got home. I am unable to sleep well. When I walk Brio, I feel I spend my time dodging other people, ducking behind bushes, head down. In the village, I walk with my face turned toward the beautiful sky, the eye on the horizon. Fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clover starting to take root

The microclover has started to surface, along with a million baby maple trees. Trying to figure out how to remove the trees without disturbi...