Thursday, July 22, 2021

Wise Words

Yesterday I took the grandkids each on an individual walk for some one-to-one time with Grandma. Part of my walk with my 9-year-old grand-daughter, R, went past a cemetery, and we stopped to read some of the headstones. One in particular caught her eye -- it gave the names of a couple and added "and four of their young children." We agreed this was very sad.

We continued on our walk and found some Scottish thistles beside the road. R touched the bristly head of one and noted the barbs on it. When I asked her what she thought the barbs were for, she gave me a very knowledgeable explanation about how plants spread their seeds by trying to get others to carry them around for them. Which led to a lengthy talk about how plants' whole goal in life is to spread their seeds and propagate themselves.

I then teasingly asked R if that meant, because I had had children, that meant my purpose in life was done now. And she promptly replied, "Well, before we invented fun, that would have been true." And explained that now people live longer and have time for fun too.

An interesting and possibly wise answer. But I would add that grandkids are part of the fun part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...