Saturday, April 9, 2022

Peter Ferguson

Today I started working on the stained glass window dedicated to Peter Ferguson. He was married to Jeanette (Janetta) McRorie, sister to Wilbur McRorie and Allie McRorie Tribbeck, who also have windows in the church. Peter married Janetta on March 31, 1896 at her parents' home. He worked on the transcontinental railway in Northern Ontario. He bought a 100-acre farm the East half of Lot 3 concession 1 in Warwick and later bought the 100 acres next door to it (west half Lot 4).

Peter imported a pure Clydesdale mare from Scotland, which makes me love him immediately (they and the Belgian draft horses are my favourite part of the Royal Agricultural Fair). Apparently Peter nearly died from blood poisoning that left him with a deformed hand. Thanks to Mary Janes for the biographical information!

Peter's window is in very rough shape, the central lead cames giving way the instant I removed the wood frame. There are about seven breaks in the glass, caused by extreme pressure as the window bowed and sagged. It is in worse shape the most of the other windows I've worked on, perhaps because it was on the west side of the sanctuary and had to deal with more heat. I will do my best but may have to replace the original lead if I can't solder it to be strong enough. I find myself soothing Peter as I work. Hang in there. This will take a little while. You'll feel so much better when this is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...