Monday, August 1, 2022

Optimistic Projects and Finding Flow

We still haven't got any answer about zoning, so still can't get permits to do any work. However, we're going to be optimistic and get ready anyway, in case there's a last-minute nod of approval. We'd really like to get the insulation in before winter.

My husband is framing in the round pillars in the basement to square them off and allow us to conduct heat down to the floor, and also to install electrical outlets in the centre of the room. He also needs to frame around the basement windows so that the spray foam insulation people can insulate around them. All of this is finicky work, as there's no such thing as a consistent measurement or right angle in this building, and each window will require individual tailoring. He's planning to take a week to go up by himself and just immerse himself in the project with no distractions (i.e. Brio and I will stay home with the grandchildren).

There's something lovely about deep diving into an activity and achieving "flow," with nothing to pull you out of it until you're ready. I've achieved that a few times, with my writing, and once with my weaving. The dedicated room with nothing in it but the floor loom and bench, the golden sunlight coming in, the glow of the wood, the rhythmic clack and bang of the loom, the intricate threads...it was a meditative exercise. It was just complicated enough to engage the brain but repetitive enough to be relaxing.

And then I needed the room for other things and had to move my loom into a more public space, and I haven't captured that "time out of time" since. Looking back on it, that cocoon of peaceful focus was amazing. Life is so full of so many things now, I wonder if I'll ever have that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...