Sunday, April 16, 2023

Progress: Drywall going up!

We got the nod of approval, so the drywalling is happening this week and next. It really changes the feel of the place, hiding all that pink spray foam insulation. It actually feels bigger now since the walls are "white." It's making a terrific mess of the floor, though. I'm hoping I have time to clean it between the time they finish and the time I have to go back to the city.

Since it makes no sense to clean at night, when they'll just make more mess the next day, I spend my afternoons wandering the country roads with the dog, enjoying the unseasonable heat, the sound of mourning doves, the sight of greening fields. Thinking about my garden back home, drying out. It may be too hot to plant by the time I get back there.

There is some old wood (door frames, shelves, etc.) that we're going to repurpose, so I'll spend evenings getting the old nails out it. Meals are tricky, because I can't access the kitchen, so I have a toaster and microwave upstairs, along with a crockpot and rice cooker, and that's how I'm managing. It's sort of like camping but with a decent mattress.

Meanwhile, my friends Paul and Mary have given me some great old photos of the congregation and the church itself, covering the busy history this place has had. It's fun to peruse them, recognizing some of the names and marvelling how they fit so many people into this little place. It would be fun to do another fall supper, with Doris Tanton's pie recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...