Friday, December 29, 2023

When to make the leap?

We now have occupancy permission for the church, other than the balcony, which needs a higher railing. After three years of work and waiting, I'm suddenly caught off guard. There's nothing theoretically stopping me from moving in now. But suddenly there are all kinds of thoughts and questions to sort out that I haven't wrangled yet. 

When do I jump from city to village? What do I do with my city house? Am I ready to leave my current garden (my happy sanctuary for 20+ years) to establish a new one from scratch in Warwick? The plan has always been to rent out our city house and not sell it. Do I truly entrust my home and garden to a renter? I can't possibly ask a renter to deal with our Hedge-from-Hell, so I'll still need to come do the pruning 3-4 times a summer. I still have to go into the office in Toronto occasionally, and my husband has band 2-3 days a week, which means we need a place to stay when we come back to the city. If we rent to our children, that would solve that problem -- we could just crash with them when we come into town. We only have one car, so coordinating our trips into the city will take some creativity. Do I move all my stuff up to Warwick or leave some of it behind for when we're in town or for the kids to use? Do the kids even want to rent at this point? A lot has changed in their lives too, in the last 3 years. A swirl of questions!

No doubt it will all get sorted out. But I suspect I've focused almost entirely on the physical aspects of preparation and not enough on the emotional/mental. Can you imagine the look on my husband's face after he's put so much labour and money into readying this church, and I say "Yes, but I can't move yet. I just planted the garlic!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Relying on Miracles

Hubby dropped me off at the church to spend ten days working on various projects. So far I've raked the entire side yard (hardpan duly b...