Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Last weekend in August


So now it’s the end of August, and we have found a general contractor and a window company and a furnace company. 

I am still working on Margaret Morris. I find it absorbing, and time flees while I am concentrating on it, which tells me I am going to enjoy this craft. With weaving, I find it interesting but not absorbing, and it has never really clicked for me. I find I am not ambitious enough to weave anything but tea towels. But there have been signs all my life that stained glass might be my thing, from the glass painting I used to do, to the stained-glass patterns I use in my needlepoint, to the murder mystery I wrote. I guess I will find out. Like it or not, it’s my project for the next, oh, thirty years. 

Margaret was married to William Morris, who was born about 1847, a farmer of Irish descent. He died in 1915. On the 1891 census, Margaret is listed as Margurite. Their son William Ernest, born about 1872, was also a farmer and died in 1962. It was he who purchased the window in memory of his parents, at a cost of $35.

We got a Roomba to keep the sanctuary floor swept. And discovered that the Roomba speaks German. After wandering aimlessly around the vast floor space for an hour, it stopped dead and let out a string of incomprehensible and frustrated commands that I can only assume translate as "I am tired and can't find my docking station. Please return me to it so I can recharge. And next time, call someone else."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...