Saturday, October 17, 2020

A busy couple of days and a disappointment

 So my husband and I arrived at the church Thursday night to find the sump pump dead and the hot water heater leaking. And of course, the propane company we were going to go with, Superior, has decided our gravel driveway isn't good enough so they won't deliver to our address, so all that gravel was not needed after all. So we've cancelled the contract and found a different propane company, but their tanks are on back order so we won't have heat until probably late November. Luckily we have some electric space heaters, so we were able to keep the bedroom and bathroom toasty. I just hope it doesn't get so cold that the pipes might freeze. They're getting snow north of us.

Friday we met with the furnace people, Hayters, who will fix the gas line location and the fancy-dancy thermostat that isn't working (which is why the dehumidifier wasn't working). We also met with the two window companies, who measured for the windows that won't be installed until spring. Hubby bought and installed a new sump pump and rigged up a hose to drain the leaking water tank into the now functioning sump pump. I bagged up the spirea I cut down on the last trip (seven more yard bags to haul home).

I also walked down to return a book to Paul and Mary and had a nice chat. Such friendly and educated and interesting people! I love the walk to their house, as it goes past the goats and some beautiful fields lined with autumn trees. It was sunny, and the air was warmer outside than in the church.

The main reason I went to the church this weekend was to get internet installed, so that I could work there during the week and manage the renos/tradespeople there. But when the installer hadn't shown up by noon, I called Eastlink to inquire where he was. And they told me that they don't provide service to Warwick and no installer was coming. But they'd taken my $100 deposit and opened my account and told me (in writing) to be on site Oct 16 8:30-12:00 for installation. So aggravating! What kind of bad communication is that from a communication company? I've sent them a complaint. Spent a couple of hours trying to find another internet service. Bell and Rogers don't service that area either. May have found a tentative satellite one, but it sounds like service won't be fast enough. Still looking.

As we lay in bed Friday, under both a blanket and a sleeping bag, trying to keep warm, my husband asked me if I knew of anyone else our age who was doing this sort of thing, i.e. camping in an old building with no heat, and taking on a project this size at our stage of life. I couldn't think of anyone, but surely there are others. Aren't there? There should be a support group.

Saturday morning we found a second leak coming from beneath the water heater, so Hubby arranged for Hayters to come back on Monday to service it. We'll just give them the code to the lockbox and they can let themselves in. Worried that if they have to empty the tank to replace it, the flow of scalding water may melt the new sump pump. Spent this morning building insulated barriers to insert in the stairwells so we can close off the upstairs and not heat it over the winter.

And when we got home to Mississauga, we found the painter had not come to do our basement as expected. When we inquired why not, we learned he has tested positive for Covid. Oh! Thanks for not coming, then. Yet another delay.

So basically it has been one step forward and two steps back, this weekend. Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...