Thursday, November 26, 2020

Three cheers for Bob Magee!

Turned off the water and called the plumber, Bob Magee in Forest, first thing this morning, and he sent someone out right away. In fact, the man came twice, because unfortunately I didn't hear him knock the first time and neither did Brio, who usually alerts me. But he came back again a short time later and knocked persistently until I heard him. Replaced a valve and some fittings, and presto! we have running water again. I am very grateful and impressed and will definitely use them again (though hopefully not soon!).

So theoretically everything we needed to do before winter has been done. Propane and heat? Check. Water? Check. Dehumidifier? Check. Waterproofed the basement? Check. Windows ordered? Check, though won't be installed until spring. Gravel driveway in so we don't sink to the axels in mud? Check. Batteries in the smoke alarms, internet installed, new sump pump, heating wire on the water pipes in the crawlspace, eavestroughs fixed, roof inspected, old oil tank removed, environmental study done...Can't think of anything else we have to do. Maybe (and I want to whisper it so that Fate doesn't hear me say it aloud and come swooping down to spoil things) we can now concentrate on paying off debts and not have to put anything further into this place until spring. Maybe I'll have time now to work on those stained glass windows I started.

My husband is supposed to pick me up on Saturday. But since the internet is out at home and I want to make sure it's working again before I leave the reliable internet here at the church, I have asked him to ensure it's all functioning before he picks me up. That way I won't jeopardize my work. Hoping for the sake of my son in online college that it's up and running soon!

Brio has not tired of playing ball over the past two weeks, but he does seem a bit mopey. I think he may be homesick. Me too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...