Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Iceskating

I was walking Brio today down by the little local lake, and I could hear skating and laughing. Through the trees, I saw several young women skating by. Such a wholesome and simple activity that gives such happiness! I love the sound skates make on ice. I wouldn't have thought the the ice was thick enough yet, though, but apparently it is.

I grew up in a desert and there really wasn't much opportunity or interest in learning to ice skate. My husband gave me a pair of skates when we married (he's Canadian, after all!), but I only used them a couple of times and then gave them to his niece. My sons grew up with only minimal skating ability, which was likely a handicap to them, but hey, you have to choose where to pool your resources. We told each child they could pick one sport and one musical instrument, and while some of them chose more than one in the end, none of them chose hockey or figure skating (thank goodness. Have you seen the size of those hockey equipment bags?). But I do love to watch people skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...