Wednesday, March 29, 2023

I'm coming up, so we better get this party started!

Building permit granted. Further permit fees duly paid. Inspection scheduled. Hopefully the man who is coming will be able to give the nod and won't make us wait five weeks for paperwork, because the drywallers are booked for April. Followed by electricians. Possibly followed by septic people, depending on finances.

I'm looking forward to actually working with my hands on the place, for a change, instead of just doing paperwork. I want to paint, pull up carpet, pry nails from recycled wood, rev up the sander, use some muscles.

One question has been bugging me throughout this latest part of the process. My taxes are already paying the salaries of the township and county people who are issuing the permits. Why do I need to pay for a building permit, a septic permit, a driveway permit, a sewage inspection (especially in light of the fact we're getting an entirely new septic system), and all the other nickel-and-diming? Shouldn't the paperwork all be included already in the mere funding of the office? I mean, I get paid a salary to do my job, and I don't expect extra pay for every piece of paper I produce.

A point to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clover starting to take root

The microclover has started to surface, along with a million baby maple trees. Trying to figure out how to remove the trees without disturbi...