Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A ramble through the woods

I took today off work and got some things done at the church, did some writing, then took a long walk through the conservation area with Brio. Crisp, cold air and brilliant sunlight. Hot-orange Baltimore Orioles in the trees. Wild strawberries blooming. Two geese with five goslings on the lake. Birds of some sort - swallows or swifts, perhaps - darting above the surface of the lake, catching whatever it was that must have been hatching (Mosquitoes? Mayflies? My sister the biologist would know these things). Clever snugs made of piled tree branches hidden in the woods, looking like the ideal play place for children. The delicious sound of trickling water, and the scent of new-mown grass.

Then back to the church to curl up with a book for a while, and watch some Downton Abbey, which I haven't watched before and which I'm becoming fond of. I'm writing an Edwardian novel right now, so I tell myself it's research. Another walk before bedtime to watch people playing ball at the park. Someone was out harvesting rhubarb already. My patch back in the city won't be ripe for another few weeks.

All in all, a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relying on Miracles

Hubby dropped me off at the church to spend ten days working on various projects. So far I've raked the entire side yard (hardpan duly b...