Monday, September 7, 2020

A note about self-reflection


In her book Folly, Laurie R. King writes this wonderful tidbit: “In the incestuous manner of writers, his purpose seemed to be not so much the creation of shelter as the opportunities the building process gave for self-reflection---and, it went without saying, the publication of a book about both building and self-reflection…”

I laughed when I ran across that passage. Part of me hesitated to start this blog, because I was afraid readers would expect me to be profound or contemplative as I wrote it. To flavour it with wise observations about how building a home is like building a life, or how ripping out old wiring is a metaphor for tearing out old habits or self-defeating thought patterns. But instead of Elizabeth Gilbert in Italy finding meaning in a plate of pasta, I’m just Kristen McKendry in safety goggles finding spiders in the light fixtures.

While I do live in hope that the work I undertake in life will teach me valuable things, and while I anticipate I will inevitably progress and grow through challenges, I can’t guarantee that anything profound or life-changing will come out of all this for either me or my readers. You may journey with me through this project with high hopes of gaining insight into the meaning of the universe and emerge at the other side to find that we have, in fact, just renovated a church. Full stop. Wiring and septic tanks and heat pumps and carpet and glass. Any crumbs of wisdom that may be found through it may be entirely coincidental, and up to the reader to find or apply.

Having said that, I hope it’s as good rollicking fun for you as it is for me (she says, brushing cobwebs from her hair). I just wanted to throw that caveat out there!

2 comments:

Baby Trees

Have spent the last few days gingerly tiptoeing on the new clover to pull out a billion baby trees. The roots go down surprisingly far alrea...